Holidays Ahead: Take Some Precautions and Keep Pets Safe

Thanksgiving is still a few weeks off, but it is not too early to remind pet owners that they should take a few precautions to ensure that the holidays are happy for all, including our beloved animals. News columns and blog posts offer some good information that you might want to share.

Here is an excerpt from a recent Toledo (Ohio) Blade column:

Before settling in to watch football and enjoying your food coma on Thanksgiving, take a few minutes to secure any leftovers that might tempt your pet. Dogs are notorious table surfers this time of year and generally what is left over can cause serious digestive problems. Many dogs can’t tolerate fatty foods that may trigger inflammation in the pancreas called pancreatitis. Read the full column.

Right here in Nebraska, the CriticalCareDVM blog recently warned against letting cats get near yarn and tinsel and any number of other holiday-decoration materials. The blog's author is Christopher G. Byers, DVM, DACVECC, DACVIM (SAIM), CVJ, a member of the NVMA. An excerpt:

A foreign body is any non-food object in the gastrointestinal tract. We all know dogs and yes, even cats, like to chew on various items. If they swallow them, they can create some major medical issues. Foreign materials that are long and thin like tinsel, yarn, and string in the gastrointestinal tract are called linear foreign bodies. They are particularly troubling because of the damage they can cause. Read the full post.

A column in the Moultrie (Georgia) Observer has cautions about holiday dangers for both very young children and pets. An excerpt:

Christmas can be a frightening time for pets, especially those who can’t resist the tree and other holiday plants, many of which are poisonous. The toxicity of the holiday plants varies from low to very high with the level of poisoning or illness directly related to amount of the plant actually ingested. Read the full column.