As of the writing of this first 2020 edition of the ZW Weekly, the Nebraska Legislature is five percent done with the 2020 legislative session. Two hundred new pieces of legislation have been introduced, and eight constitutional amendments have been proposed.
This week was particularly enjoyable in that senators only convened officially in the morning, with afternoons left for bill reading, consensus building, and other legislative prep. Next week, the next chapter begins, with all-day debate—kicking things off with difficult issues like school discipline and tax policy issues.
The schedule for the rest of the session:
January 13, 14, 15
• Debate of carry-over legislation
• Recess at noon for lunch, reconvene at 1:30 p.m. and adjourn no later than 5:00 p.m.
• Governor Ricketts' State of the State Address – 10:00 a.m.
• Recess day
• Last day to submit bill requests!
• Public Hearings begin at 1:30 p.m.
• Last day of bill introduction!
February 19, Prior to Adjournment
• Deadline to submit a letter to the Speaker requesting designation of a bill as a 2020 speaker priority bill
February 21, Prior to Adjournment
• Deadline for designation of committee and senator priority bills
• Last day of committee public hearings on introduced bills
• Full-day floor debate begins
• Late night debate begins
• Adjournment sine die
Katie and Michelle